Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The New Direction

I was talking to Illani on the phone in the afternoon when she asked me about my research proposal. She mentioned that she read this blog, and she can't really see my direction in doing the research. The conversation makes me realise that I haven't done much into what I am really doing. I guess that is why I dont know what I'm looking for in the Language Policy and Planning books.

So while I was having Nasi Goreng ChiangMai and Nescafe O-Ais for dinner, I ran through all the information that I have read/gathered. I made some-sort of a flowchart of what my research will be. So, here we are:

First of all, I need to redefine my research title-
The Implementation of MBMMBI in Four SBPs in Pahang:
What are the English Teachers do in their classrooms?

I know this sounds different from my previous entry. There is a need to define who is my respondents for this research. I know I was kinda ambitious earlier that I said I wanna do the whole Malaysia. But I guess it's not really do-able.

Nevertheless, the new title somehow gives sufficient information on what the research is all about, where, and who involved in this research.

Why four SBPs? This is related to the fact that I can get access to four SBPs in Pekan and Kuantan- SBPI Pekan, SMS Sultan Ahmad Shah Pekan (SHAH), SBPI Kuantan and SMS Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Kuantan (SEMSAS). My population is the teachers that teach English in these schools. They are nonrandom samples- anyone who teaches English subject in these school will be asked to asnwer my survey forms. As there is English for Science and Technology subject, teachers who teach this subject will be included in this study as well.

Given the fact that these teachers might not be the optionist, this is where the varying attributes come in. This sort of elements will be asked in the demographic section of my survey form. Among other varying attributes that will be included in this study is the teachers' teaching English experience and gender.

So what is this research all about? As the title suggests, it will look into what these English teachers are doing in their English lessons.

What is my literature review will be all about? As I mentioned in the previous entry entitled MBMMBI: Tawaran Baru Sistem Pendidikan Malaysia, there are a few elements of this new policy that teachers in school have to adhere to.  Among others are teaching of phonics, stress on the Grammar in the lessons and inclusion of science and teachnology elements in their lesson plannings. So the literature review will look into these matter- what are the benefits of these, and how best to apply it in the classroom.

Furthermore, I will look into two others elements emphasise in this new policy- the use of computer softwares in teaching and learning process, and the existance of English Language Lab in their school. How would these help in better teaching of English?

Nonetheless, I will discuss a bit about English Language Teaching Methodologies such as Direct Grammar Translation, Total Physical Response and Communicative Language Teaching.

As it is reviewed, the questions will be based on these issues. A survey form will be developed based on these elements. I am thinking to use Likert scale for this survey. I will also include an open ended question for the teachers to comment on the topic. A pilot study will be carried out in ensuring that the survey questions are valid.

Now I can see where I am heading in this research.

2 comments:

  1. another reason for choosing SBPs is that there is an issue of necessity for having more contact hours for English. somehow, I dont feel we really need that in SBPs. maybe just for some very weak student. but again, when we say weak, it means students who dont get A for English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. after some thoughts, i think the research design for this research will be SURVEY- case study (of the four SBPs).

    ReplyDelete